Saturday, June 7, 2014

Blogging to Learn (Finality)

So, it's just about over. As the school year approaches its end, and I write my final blog post, it's time for a little bit of reflection as to how this process has affected myself, my peers, and my learning experience.

Quite honestly, I think blogging was one of the best attributes of my American Studies class. At the core of the concept, it's weekly writing, which keeps you on your toes, always thinking about logic (and grammar.) But I think that more importantly, this task makes you look at the world and what's going on. As much as I hate to say it, I (and I'd assume most high schoolers) tend to block out the "real" world, and focus on the world of high school. But really, who can blame us; often times, the world is a terrible place. And some people chose to focus on the good in the world for their blog posts. But I focused on the bad. On the government cover-ups, on the outrageous outcomes of our judicial system, and on the good who are dyin' young. And while it has been somewhat of a bleak process, I think I've come out of it a better, more conscious person. I've learned that all the bad in the world should not be ignored, but rather, talked about. Ignorance is not bliss, it's just ignorance, and it doesn't do anyone any good.

What I'm trying to say is that this blog helped me to address some of the issues I see in the world. It gave me a place to discuss things and vent my anger, so that when I was done writing my posts, I was feelin' alright. And I think that if a school assignment can have this therapeutic affect on a person, that's incredible. Maybe the future of education in America isn't so doomed after all.

People may say we're north american scum; that doesn't mean we can't write about it. And through writing, comes healing.

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha! Nice creative linking to songs! I completely agree, blogs have been one of my most enjoyable parts of American Studies too. I feel that our blogs have really allowed us to critically view the world and all its imperfections as well as give us the opportunity to contribute new ideas and to expand on the work of professional journalists and scholars. I have enjoyed this approach to leaning so much!

    ReplyDelete