Tuesday, March 25, 2014

What's Wrong with Lollapalooza?

I very much look forward to my free period on Tuesday, as it's a great time for me to relax, eat, and do homework; and today was no exception. I walked into the student lounge this morning in hopes of doing a little research and taking a break. But when I opened up my laptop to try and use the internet, I got an irritating loading screen, and after several minutes I gave up trying to get anything accomplished. At this time I looked around to see almost every other person around me staring anxiously at their laptops. My friend came in glued to his phone, and I asked him what was going on. He simply replied, "I'm trying to get Lolla tickets."

Now, of course I can't be sure that everyone reading this post is from Chicago, but in case you aren't, let me clue you in; Lollapalooza is a BIG deal around here. Essentially, it's a music festival of epic proportions. But that isn't necessarily the reason it's so popular. Chicago's youth goes crazy over Lolla because to enjoy the festival, you don't have to love music. Other festivals like Pitchfork, Summer Camp, Jazz Fest; if you buy tickets, you know what you're in for. You've listened to the artists, you enjoy the music, and that's why you're going. But not Lolla. If you're going, it might be because you recognize one of the headliners, or because you like live music, but the biggest reason people go? For the atmosphere. And I'm not talking about the nice weather. By "the atmosphere," I mean anything goes, loud drum beats, and LOTS of drugs. And this is my concern.

I'm worried that size and popularity of Lolla is not indicative of Chicago's love of good music, but rather, of Chicago's love of going crazy for three days. That's not to say I'm condemning a massive party with good music; I've got no problem with that. But I do have a problem with preppy teenagers, with no prior knowledge of the artists they're seeing, pretending to like music in exchange for free weed from festival-goers. That may sound harsh, but I fear it's true. So please, prove me wrong. Do people really still love live music? Or do rich kids just want to pay 300 bucks to do drugs in a big field?

No comments:

Post a Comment